bird of paradise, crane flower, orange strelitzia, (afrikaans: kraanvoëlblom)
- They can flower within 3 years from germination under ideal conditions
- This species grows to a height of 1.5m
- It requires full sun to flower well
- This species can survive with little water once established & can tolerate light frosts
- They are spectacular as cut flowers with a long vase life
- Seeds should be sown in spring
- This is one of the most striking and well recognized rhizomatous shrubs in South Africa.
- They have large basal leaves forming clumps which are attractive in their own right. The tufted growth gradually multiplies and can be divided during spring and summer.
- The flowers are a dramatic blue and orange and have a distinctive shape resembling the head of a bird- hence the name 'Bird of Paradise'.
- They flower from summer to autumn.
- They are striking feature plants and very popular with landscapers.
- They grow in full sun or semi shade are wind tolerant, doing well in coastal gardens.
Price per pack of 10 seeds :